Saturday, November 30, 2013

Birchbox Man December 2013

A couple of months ago, wanting my husband to share in the subscription box fun, I signed my him up for Birchbox Man.  When you sign up as a man (or for a man), you are asked a variety of questions about your interests, likes, etc., in order to personalize the box.  I had hoped that my quiz answers (that I did for my husband) would assure that he would receive things he would actually use, and not think were not "manly" enough.  I feel the need to say that my husband is a "macho" guy, for lack of a better term.  While he's not out in the garage working on his car all the time, or riding a motorcycle and wearing black leather, he's a fairly old fashioned and masculine fellow. I knew that chances were, that he would not be too excited about getting grooming product samples, but thought I'd try it out.

Well, as I predicted, he just wasn't into it.  He was a good sport about it, and enjoyed opening the boxes, mostly because he knew that I was excited about it.  However, each month after opening, he never used any of the samples, except for the tiny little cologne vials. Since that $20 a month is money that I can put towards a new subscription for me (what can I say? I'm addicted!), I recently cancelled his subscription.

Apparently, I cancelled too late, because we recently got his December box in the mail. Here's what he/we got.

First up, is a pair of Jonathan Adler socks.  Now, I honestly don't know why my husband doesn't like these. (C'mon-stripes? What's un-manly about hunter green and gray stripes?) I like them! In fact, I wore them yesterday.  Sure, they went nearly up to my knees, and were a little big on the foot, but I loved the soft texture, and the weight of the socks.  (And I'm very picky when it comes to socks-I think I have some sensory issues when it comes to my feet and socks.) These will make nice boot socks for me this winter!

Next, is a pair of boot laces from Benjo.  Yes, boot laces.  In a Birchbox.  That was kind of his reaction, too. They are orange and yellow, and...well, they are boot laces.  Rather short ones, too.  Ho hum.

Moving right along, we have a bottle of Lucky Tiger Liquid Shave Cream.  I'm more impressed with this product than he is.  It is in a cool bottle, that looks like glass, but isn't.  With the old fashioned label, this would look nice sitting on the bathroom counter.  The shave cream has a pleasant, fruity smell.

The black bottle is Real Men Go 24 7 Body Wash.  My husband's reaction? "Wow.  That really stinks." I don't think the scent is that bad, although it's certainly a masculine smell.  Maybe a tiny bit too Brute aftershave-like, though.  My 10 year old son will probably use it and love it.

A product that already has gone directly to the 10 year old, is the American Crew Alternator Styling Spray.  Hubby has a flat top (and thinning hair), and doesn't need a product like this, but it works well to style my son's thick, "messy look" hair.

Billy Jealousy Liquid Sand is the last product.  A couple of months ago, he received Billy Jealousy moisturizer, which I have been using as a hand cream.  It has a pleasant, light scent, as does this product.  The moisturizer absorbs quickly, and feels silky on.  Sadly, this product will go unused.  I happened to mention "You might enjoy using this to exfoliate", to which my husband replied, "I might enjoy it to what?!" Let's just say he's not the exfoliating type.

There was one more thing in the box that isn't pictured.  It was a dumb little clingy thing with the Birchbox logo, that you are supposed to clean your phone screen with.  It doesn't work.

So, there you have it.  If you are a man who enjoys sampling various grooming products, and doesn't mind getting a few other odds an ends, then you'll love this.  Otherwise, tell your wife that you would love for her to use the money to get herself another subscription! ;-) (You're welcome, ladies!)

This product was purchased with my own money, and all opinions are my own..  By clicking on the link in the post, and then signing up for Birchbox, I would receive Birchbox points.  Otherwise, I am not compensated for this post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment