Sunday, November 17, 2013

Ipsy Glam Bag November 2013

I have been an Ipsy subscriber since I received my first bag in July.  I have to say that I generally feel pretty "meh" about what I receive in my Ipsy bags.  There are always one or two products that everyone wants, but not everyone gets.  I never get these most coveted products.  (Wah, wah, wah.) For example, in July, Benefit Benetint was a sample that was really hyped up on the Ipsy site, and I've been wanted to try it for years, but lots of people did not get it, including me.  The next month, the coveted product was an Urban Decay lipstick sample.  Those of us who didn't get that got a lip balm instead. (Now, I must admit, I use that lip balm everyday, whereas I wouldn't use the same lipstick every day, but still.....) If I didn't stalk the Ipsy site, and keep up with the monthly bag spoilers to see all the product variants that are going into some bags, I probably would be less disappointed each month when I get my own bag.  However, the hype and spoilers and build up of excitement are part of what makes it fun for me, so I keep at it.  (Yes, I'm easily amused. What can I say?)

Anyhow, to put it all into perspective, it's only $10 a month, and there are usually at least $10 worth of products that I end up using.

I totally forgot to take a picture of my bag this month.  If you are dying to see one, I'm sure you can find a picture on Instagram, but here is what I received, and my thoughts on each product.

em Michelle Phan Lash Gallery Mascara in Black
As you may have heard, Michelle Phan is highly involved with Ipsy, and she recently created her own (quite expensive) makeup line.  Ipsy folks have been begging to sample em, and this month Ipsy added a full sized em product as a sixth product in our bags.  (We usually only get 4-5).  Subscription services apparently love to send out mascara, and I already have more than I can use.  I have contact lenses and sensitive, watery eyes, so I only use waterproof mascara, so I won't be using this.  I also just don't wear mascara often, anyhow.  I would have loved to receive one of the lipsticks, lipglosses or eyeliners that were sent out instead.

Pixi Bronzer in Subtly Suntouched
I'll try this product out eventually, I suppose, but I really don't use bronzer.  Especially in November.  Some people contour with bronzer, but I generally just look like I have a dirty face when I try it.  Anyhow, this shade isn't much darker than the mineral powder foundation I use, so I may experiment with it at some point. Who knows, I may love it.

Be a Bombshell Lip Crayon in Shameless
This is another brand that I've never heard of outside of subscription services, but I've now received products from them in three different subscriptions.  Shameless is a slightly shimmery dark pink, and I was thrilled to discover that this color is perfect for me! It's dark enough to not look like a nude on my already fairly pigmented lips, but not dark enough to be all "Hello, lipstick!" The color goes on smooth and easy, and while it looks quite glittery in the stick, it doesn't apply that way at all, thankfully.  The only thing is that it smells like Band-aids! Odd, but the smell goes away after application.  I can't vouch for the longevity yet, but we'll see!

Nailtini Straight Up Color Nail Lacquer in Champagne
I'm pretty picky about nail polish colors, so I have nail polish selected as something I don't like to receive in my Ipsy Match profile, but everyone received a nail polish this month.  This is a color that a lot of people wanted to receive, but it just reminds me of the type of shade my Mom always wore in the '80's. It's a basic, shiny nude color.  Blah.  I'm going to try to trade it, or give it to Mom.

Starlooks Gem Eye Pencil in Amethyst
There is usually at least one product in each box or bag that I receive that I really don't think I'll like until I try it.  This was it for me.  This is a silvery eye liner with a hint of purple.  Soooooo not something this 39 year old would even consider purchasing! But, I tried it yesterday over a bit of green eyeliner, and the colors looked so good together! I may not wear it often, but it's fun to have a more "adventurous" option.

BH Cosmetics Galaxy Chic Baked Eyeshadow Shimmer in Sun
This color seems to be one that lots of people wanted to receive, but I don't understand why. I mean, on it's own, it looks pretty in the container, but I can't imagine using orange-y eyeshadow on my eyes without looking ill.  It's a nice, big sample, so I'm bummed that I didn't get a different shade.  I'll try to trade it or give it away.  I'm comforting myself with the fact that I received some BH cosmetics eyeshadow in my first bag, and the quality was not good.

So, 3 out of 3 potentially useful things in this bag for me.  That's not too bad for $10.  Ipsy comes in a different makeup bag each month.  This month's bag was a wristlet style, in a shiny gold faux snakeskin with a pink zipper. It's pretty flimsy, and a wee bit tacky, but c'mon.  $10, remember? ;-)

I paid for this Glam Bag with my own money, and opinions expressed are my own. By clicking on the Ipsy links, and then signing up for Ipsy, you would be helpign me earn Ipsy points.  I am not otherwise compensated for this post.


0 comments:

Post a Comment