Saturday, November 23, 2013

November Beauty Box 5-aka the Boredom Box 5

This month's Beauty Box 5 will be my last, at least for a while, anyway.  I've had 3 (or is it 4?) boxes from them.  I can't remember exactly, because they really aren't that memorable, sadly.  While I always ended up using some or most of the items, they just aren't that interesting or fun, in comparison to Ipsy or Birchbox.  For $12 a month, the price is similar, but fewer well known, higher end brands are included in the boxes.  Boxes contain a mix of 5 skin care, makeup and apparently, other body care type items.  After receiving an especially boring box in September, where I received a pair of cheap, dollar-store type, pedicure toe separators, and a teeny, tiny bottle of Aveeno lotion as two of my 4-5 items,  I decided that I would cancel if November wasn't more exciting. Sooooooo.....
Here's what I received.

Secret Clinical Strength Antiperspirant-So Secret is the only brand of deodorant I'll use, although I've never tried the Clinical Strength.  So, this sample will get used, but seriously? Deodorant in a beauty subscription box? How dull is that? It's kind of like giving a kid socks for Christmas-who cares? I prefer to buy my own.

Aveeno body wash-(Sigh). More Aveeno.  Aveeno may be perfectly lovely, in fact, I hear it's very nice for dry, winter skin, but I'm just not enthused to receive another drug store, Aveeno product for a second month. At least this body wash bottle is at least twice as big as my sad, little lotion sample was last month. (Disclaimer: I'm totally not a drug store product snob! The majority of products I use come from the drug store. However, this is why I like subscription boxes-so I can try new things!)

Be a Bombshell Eye Crayon in Hang Over-Now this is what I'm talking about! Finally a makeup product! Be a Bombshell is a makeup line that seems to be popular with subscription boxes.  I've received products from them in Ipsy and Wantable.  This eye crayon is a medium brown, and applies pretty easily.  It creased within a couple of hours on me, but then again, most creamy eye shadows do.  Packaging seems a little cheap, but honestly, I'm just glad to get a makeup product that I might use every once in a while out of this subscription.

Bella Pierre Eye Shimmer in Ha Ha-Ha ha is right.  I shouldn't complain, since it IS makeup-two makeup products in a Beauty Box 5, this might be unprecedented! But, as a 39 year old, brown eyed, midwestern woman, who leads a pretty conservative (read: boring!) lifestyle, I just don't see myself wearing electric blue, shimmery eye shadow. The product is a nice size, so it's a shame I can't use it.

Glacial Clay Spa Mask-Now this I didn't mind receiving, although it's yet another drug store product that I could go to Walgreen's and get myself for cheap.  I used the mask, and don't really have a definitive review to give.  It didn't do anything bad to my sensitive skin, but after only one use, it's hard to determine any benefits.  It was a little messy and drippy, and the nose hole in the mask was cut into the wrong place, so it was a little funny to wear. 

So, there you go. After receiving this boring Beauty Box, I cancelled my subscription, and subscribed instead to The Sample Society. If I hear about Beauty Box 5 improving, then I may resubscribe, but I thought it would be fun to try out something new instead.  I think for Beauty Box to stay afloat, they will need to attract better brands.  Ipsy and Birchbox are two dollars cheaper and seem to put together much more interesting boxes.

I purchased this box with my own money, and all opinions expressed are my own.


0 comments:

Post a Comment