Saturday, November 23, 2013

November Birchbox

Yep, another box review.  Maybe eventually I'll blog about something other than my subscription boxes! (I still have one other I haven't reviewed yet, so don't hold your breath.) I've had Birchbox for maybe 4 months now.  I usually end up with a few things I like from these boxes. In fact, one of my unexpected "Holy Grail" products has come from Birchbox! I received a sample of Juice Beauty Oil Free Moisturizer in my first box, and much to my surprise, my sensitive skin loved it! I've since bought a full size.

I forgot to take a picture of my Birchbox this month.  I usually receive it and my Ipsy Glam Bag on the same day, and in my excitement, I forgot to take a picture of either box. Here's what I received, and my thoughts.

Vasanti Brighten Up Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator-This is an exfolliant product, in a fairly decent sized sample tube. I've only used it once, as I have plenty of similar samples to try out at the moment.  It seems to be a very fine grained exfolliant, and felt pretty sharp and scratchy.  Since I've only used it once, I can't really vouch for it's effectiveness, but my sensitive skin didn't get upset about it, either.

Dr. Lipp Original Nipple Balm for Lips-Yes, the first thing you noticed about this was the name.  Me too. This was originally created to be a lanolin healing cream for nursing mothers, thus the "Nipple Balm". Unfortunately, the good doctor's name just makes the product name sound funnier.  Or not.  Maybe I just have the sense of humor and maturity of a 13 year old boy.  I didn't think I'd like this, especially after squeezing and squeezing the teensy tube to get anything out of it, and finding it was at least half way full of air.  However, after wearing this a few times, I kind of like it.  It leave my lips glossy like petroleum jelly would, but the glossiness lasts longer, and the stickiness is more bearable.  It actually works well under lipstick, and somehow doesn't create a glopy mess, as I would have expected.  I may actually buy this, but I'm just not sure how I would feel about pulling it out of my purse in public, due to the name.  I know, I know-grow up already, right?

Eyeko Black Magic Mascara-Yet another mascara sample. I'm actually keeping and wearing this one, though, since it's water resistant. This stuff is apparently supposed to be a big deal, that does fabulous things to your lashes, perhaps due to the wand shape, or some such mumbo jumbo. Ehhhh...it's a decent mascara. I like that it doesn't clump, it doesn't run, and it doesn't make my eyelashes feel stiff.  But then, I only wear a tiny amount.  I'm fortunate to have dark, long eyelashes, so I only wear a bit to re-darken my lashes when some concealer or eye shadow has gotten on them.

Folle de Joie Eau de Parfum-I received a small sample vial of this perfume.  This seems to be a very popular perfume among sample box subscribers, so I was happy to try it out.  It has a nice floral smell, but I'm not sure how well it works with my body chemistry.  The jury is still out.

Miss Jessie's Original Leave-In Condish-Despite the obnoxious, Rachael Ray type name of "Condish", which annoys me way more than it should, I like this stuff.  It came at the perfect time for me, as I've been on the hunt for a silicone free leave in conditioner that actually helps me get the tangles out of my hair, which is pretty darn hard to find!  It came in a generously sized, foil packet.  Birchbox often gets a bad rap for it's foil packet samples, but really, I've already gotten 3 uses out of this, and I'll probably get 3-4 more generous sizes uses out of it.  When I rub this on my tangles, and then comb with a wide tooth comb, the tangles comb out so much easier-almost as easily as they did with my old favorite, but silicone laden, leave-in (which gunked up my hair-story for another post).  The smell is strong, and reminds me of off-brand fabric softener sheets, but it doesn't last too long, so I can deal with it.  I actually ordered a full size of this, however, I just noticed that my scalp is getting that gunked up, oily feeling again.  I've read the label multiple times searching for overlooked silicones or build up causing poly-quats, but I don't see any. I hope it isn't this product causing it!

Ghirardelli Toffee Crunch Candy Bar-Sometimes Birchbox sends out food items.  I have my profile set to not include food items, but this month, everyone was sent some type of snack or tea.  This a a huge, full sized bar, unfortunately, no one at my house likes toffee.  Birchbox doesn't know that, though.

So, all in all, it was a pretty decent month for Birchbox! I'm excited to see what December will have.

I purchased this box with my own money, and all opinions are my own. By clicking on the Birchbox links, and then signing up for Birchbox, I would receive Birchbox points.  Otherwise, I am not compensated for this post in any way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment