Monday, December 23, 2013

Birchbox December-Where's the Beef?

Ok, you have to be "of a certain age" to get that reference, but really, when I opened this month's Birchbox, that was my reaction.  Everything in the box this month was teeny tiny! I know it's a sample service, but wow-these items are small!

Here's what I received this month:

Number 4 Non-Aerosol Hairspray-This is supposed to be really great hairspray for some reason.  I used it once, and, well, it's just hairspray. I prefer aerosol hairspray, because the finer mist helps add body to my fine hair, but this will still get used up.  Boring, but usable.

Manna Kadar Sheer Glo Shimmer Lotion-Apparently this stuff is supposed to be a big deal, too.  I must be really hard to impress, because I'm not excited about this stuff at all.  Mostly because I received a full size of it in my Wantable box, as compared to this itsy, bitsy .27 oz tube.  I did try wearing this a couple of times, but I couldn't even tell I did anything different.  I suppose if I had great skin and didn't wear makeup, this might show up a little better. Meh.

Harvey Prince Hello-I actually like this perfume sample, as it has a nice scent, and I will get a few uses out of it, although I wish it were a little bigger.

Embryolisse Lait-Creme Concentrate moisturizer-This is the one product I was actually excited about receiving.  that is, until I opened up the box and saw the minuscule little tube.  I should have taken a picture of it, it's even smaller than the Manna Kadar, at a measly, .17 oz.  If you believe the Birchbox hype, this is a must have product for makeup artists, as it can be used as a makeup priming moisturizer, makeup remover, or body lotion. The sample size is way too small for me to try out all of those uses.  I did use it once as a makeup primer.  I didn't notice any extra staying power of my makeup, and I had a HUGE pimple forming by the end of the day.  So, I guess it's safe to say that I'm not a fan of this sample!

Twistband-I didn't include this in the picture, because it fell out of the deep, cavernous recesses of my nearly empty box, and I didn't even notice it was missing.  I received a single, silver twistband.  One. Twistband.  I'm sorry, but am I the only person that thinks that is kind of pathetic? A single, solitary pony tail holder? Beauty Box 5 sent me a whole pack in my first box. Sure, I'll use it, but c'mon.

Birchbox Screen Cleaner-This is supposed to be an extra.  I received one in my Birchbox Man box, as well.  What you see in the picture is mostly packaging, the actual item is a 1 inch square little thing that can stick to your phone, and you can use the non sticky side to wipe off your screen. I threw the last one away, and this one is going there, too.

I usually like Birchbox pretty well, as I've discovered some great products through this service, but I can't help but feel like they scooped up the tiny little crumbs from the bottom of the barrel and threw them in my box this month.  Bah Humbug!

Disclaimer-I paid for this subscription, and all opinions are my own.  By clicking on any links in this post, and then subscribing to Birchbox, you are helping me to earn Birchbox points.

0 comments:

Post a Comment