Thursday, January 2, 2014

Hibernation Interrupted to Bring You-My December Sample Society Box

     I'm still on Winter Break from my teaching job. There is about 6 inches of snow on the ground, and it's only about 16 degrees out.  I'm comfy on the couch, with a blanket, and a warm laptop, trying not to doze off.  It's been a rough couple of weeks! Ok, no, it hasn't-I've enjoyed every minute of it, as I've needed this time away from work to recharge.
     I'm interrupting my lovely time of winter break hibernation, to bring you my review of my December Sample Society box.With a subscription to the BeautyBar.com's Sample Society, I receive 5 deluxe sized samples of makeup or skin care products a month for $15.  The box is curated for Beauty Bar by Allure magazine. This was my first Sample Society Box; a subscription I decided to pick up in place of Beauty Box 5, which I found to be a let down with it's boring products.

So this box wasn't exactly the most exciting subscription box I've received, but I didn't totally dislike it, either. In my box, I received the following:

Alterna Caviar Dry Shampoo-I can't really review this product, as I haven't used it yet.  This dry shampoo is not an aerosol, but a powder that you apply somehow to your hair.  I can't imagine how this works without making a mess, so I haven't been brave enough to try it yet.

dermalogica Daily Microfoliant-I was excited to receive a couple of products in this box with names that I actually recognize (I'm used to getting J. Cat, Be a Bombshell, Michael Marcus, and lots of other unknown-outside-of-subscriptions brands, remember?) I've actually heard of this brand, and seen it in stores, and was excited to try one of their products.  This is a powder that you massage onto your wet face to cleanse and exfoliate.  The powder turns to a slightly gritty cream when wet.  I've used this a few times, and I'm not sure it has actually done anything to my skin, but I'll keep using it.  The sample size is very nice-I can gt many uses out of this.

Jane Iredale Lash Conditioner-This teeny, tiny sample was slightly smaller than my pinky finger.  I have no use for a product like this, as I'm fortunate to have long, healthy lashes, I guess.  I traded this to someone else for a Chella Highlighter Pencil that I've been wanting, so I can't give a review.

Philosophy Hope in a Jar Night Moisturizer-Woohoo! A Philosophy product! Who hasn't heard of Philosophy, right? This is another one I was excited about, as I like the products I've tried from this brand, but it's so expensive, that I don't like to purchase without sampling first.  I've used this a couple of times, and I find that while it feels a bit greasy at first, it sinks in quickly.  I haven't had any positive or negative results yet, so that's about all I can say.  The sample size, while not nearly as big as the dermalogica, is ok.

IPKN New York Moist and Firm BB Cream in 02 Light-This is one product that I was happier with after sampling than when I first saw it in my box.  All the other BB creams I've tried from sample services have broken me out, and looked funny on my skin.  This one actually blended nicely with my natural skin tone, and didn't cause any acne, at least not after the 3 times I wore it.  I generally prefer a more full coverage foundation product, especially during the winter, but I may use the rest of this up in the Spring. Seems like a nice product, and I've heard good things about it.

So, overall, even though it wasn't the most exciting box, it was really nice to get some well-known, higher end brands for a change.  So far, spoilers for the January box show that some subscribers will get a Stila lipstick sample (please, please let it be me!!), and everyone (I think) will get a Butter London Horse Power Nail Fertilizer or a Handbag Holiday Cuticle Oil.  I'm hoping for the Cuticle Oil, as I have no use for the Nail Fertilizer, but I'm sure I could easily find someone to trade with me.

Disclaimer-I paid for this product with my own money, and I am not being compensated for my opinions or this review.  However, if you'd like to sign up for Sample Society, and would like to use my referral link, please click on the link below, and use the code BACK2659 to help me earn points for discounts.  Thank you!
https://www.beautybar.com/SampleSociety/Dashboard.qs


2 comments:

  1. Hey Doll! Found your blog on makeuptalk!
    Thanks to you I now know about wantable and lipfactory Thanks!
    I'd love for you to check out my blog, and maybe return the follow!
    www.mybeautyytooth.blogspot.com
    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to enable you! Wantable and Lip Factory are so fun. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete